Monday, August 16, 2010

Stakes versus Steaks

Stakes or Steaks?

I planted a garden this year, for the first time.  We often have our young nieces and nephews visit and they are enthralled with the idea of a garden, dirt, growing things.  Early in the summer, I had just put wooden stakes near the tomato plants to hold them up.  One of our young visitors asked which plants were the tomato plants.  I said "the ones with the stakes."  Our visitor ran to the garden to have a look.  After a few minutes he came back to see me on the deck and said "I don't see any meat out there, which ones are the tomatoes?". His mom and I spent time with him showing him the tomatoes and also discussing words that are spelled differently and sound alike.  By the end, he was laughing at what he had said.  He could actually picture the meat.

Lesson 1:  vocabulary is important, use age-appropriate words
Lesson 2:  the young ones keep us youthful, laughing and happy
Lesson 3:  cherish every minute of life

No comments: